River Tees Loop: Barrage to Newport Bridge
2.9 miles // 4.7 km
Suitable for all bikes
Possibly Stockton’s most popular short cycle ride, it links the Tees Barrage to the iconic Newport Bridge using both sides of the River Tees, passing Portrack Marsh Nature Reserve on the north and Maze Park Nature Reserve to the south.
Smooth flat paths, great for kids, and very difficult to get lost!
What You’ll See
Café and toilets at the Tees Barrage White Water Centre
Free parking at the Barrage, on either side of the river
You could start anywhere along this route and ride it in either direction, but for these directions we’ll start at the Tees Barrage and ride clockwise.
- From the Barrage, keep the river on your right as you pedal towards Middlesbrough.
- Continue straight along the river under the A19 flyover, and towards the Newport Bridge.
- As you approach the Newport Bridge, go through a squeeze gate and follow the path right, turning under the Newport bridge and then sweeping left uphill.
- The path will rise until you reach a t junction at the top; turn left and ride across the Newport Bridge.
- Once you’re most of the way across the bridge, take the metal ramp down to your left.
- At the bottom of the ramp, take a sharp right and ride under the Newport Bridge and onto the path with the River on your right.
- From here on, it’s a nice easy pedal under the A19 Flyover, past Maze Park Nature Reserve (on your left) and back towards the Barrage.
- Finally, take a right turn to cross over the Tees Barrage pedestrian bridge and end up back where you started.